Saturday, February 23, 2013

My 3 all time favorite paintings




The little girl on the beach was done in oils.  The painting was about 24" by 36".  The sky took me all of fifteen minutes to paint.  The little girl took me three weeks.  I had to wait for layers of paint to dry.  Yellow seems to take forever.  (And I had to be careful not to mix the flesh with the cloth of the bathing suit.)  The ball took THREE days to paint.  Had to wait for colors to dry so they wouldn't bleed into one another, and it took me awhile to realize that a round object owns an oval shadow.  Makes no sense but it's true.

The oil painting of the  English Bulldog was my former dog "Cody".  I labored over this one.  I wanted to make it like you could pet him, and well I was more than please with the job I did on him, I feel like I can hear him panting!  

The lady on the bottom is a class demo in pastels.  From start to finish it took all of two hours.  The students picked out the photo I was to do, they wanted to see me struggle with doing teeth, and all the plays of light on the model's neck.  (It was from a photo of a cover girl ad.)  I truly had fun doing this portrait with about a dozen hopeful artists watching me, I know I truly helped them learn how to start, continue and finish a pastel portrait.  

I have other favorites, like the one I did of Whoopie Goldberg, the one I did of my Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier, and the one I did for the cover of the book I co-authored, but these three mean a lot to me.  

But I'm not done yet, I have a lot of artwork to do.  

I go back in the studio to work on Tuesday and Wednesday as my classes I take are then.  I take classes to keep up on things and to stay motivated because if I don't take class, laundry calls me, housework calls me, I get interrupted with phone calls, etc.  So, instead, I carve out three hours at the local Visual Art Center and take classes and that is MY time, for ME!!!  

And now you know...haha!  

More work to come.  Actually it's not work at all, it's what I live to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment