Sunday, December 14, 2014

Petra's portrait, step-by-step



There were many pictures of Petra, but this showed her intent "eye of the tiger" look, yet somehow a look of innocence all wrapped up in one.  The minute I saw this photo, I knew it was the one from which I was to create her portrait!


Here is the final portrait.



From the beginning.  Seeing her drawn in, I knew I was going to enjoy painting this portrait.


So I painted in the eyes, and nose, liked what I had, but, something told me I would rework both the eyes and nose more and more.  (I was right.)


This is the awkward stage that I hate to send to the owner/handler in an email because if they don't have an imagination, it could be hard for them to realize, all I'm doing is experimenting with color and testing what works.  I do explain it all, but they must wonder what on Earth is she doing to my dog?


So I keep going, and I like the ear a lot.


One good ear deserves another, yet, I'm not happy with those eyes, they look too much like staring.  I did begin to blend the colors, posted it on Facebook and got some nice reviews.  


I posted this on Facebook and everyone thought it was done...no, no, no!  That whole one side of her face wasn't done, and that was when I realized just how much the color of the paper was helping with the painting to my advantage!  


I pushed on, and reworked the nose, and then I concentrated more and more on the eyes.  I took away the large pupils I had in, and replaced them with glare and reflection, and smaller definition of a pupil and voilá, Petra was Petra!


I was really please with this portrait.  Such a pretty dog, so sad she had to leave this Earth so soon, but I got her down in infamy.  

Below is the step-by-step collage I make to send in an email to each officer so not only can they see it being created with an email step-by-step, but see it all in one place.  I love the mauve colors I chose for a frame.



Response from the officer?  

He wrote to me and said he was speechless.  

End of.  



No comments:

Post a Comment