Friday, April 22, 2011



This painting is done in oils. It was painted under the direction of Margaret Egli who taught the class. I came to class rather unprepared because I wasn't truly sure what I was going to do, but as the good instructor she is, she had a few photos I could work from, so I did. Although I changed a lot from the photo I worked from, I kept the composition and basic colors, however, I changed the background which was mostly dark colors, to a light and airy colors to make it look like it has more perspective than it does, and I was very "loose" with my brush strokes, standing far away from the painting and not blending much. This is the first of this style of painting I've tried and I really like my first attempt. I am going to Italy to paint with the teacher of this class this fall and I can't wait! I've got a lot to learn from her until I go. Most people will ask, "How long did it take you to paint this?" My estimated time is six hours. I did it in two class periods of three hours, but I take breaks and get away from my work so it stays fresh. So to be honest it was in less than six.

No comments:

Post a Comment