Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Acrylics-Small

Amazing what happens when you forget your oil paints for class...and brought your acrylics in their place!  Thank goodness I had my small canvases in the car, ready to go with acrylics!  Yet still, I didn't have my normal disposable palette, but I got through the day, and finished TWO paintings!  Small paintings, but two done, regardless!


It's only three inches square, but I like the composition.  I call it "Ecuadorian home" because I took the photo in Ecuador!  Wish I could get the photo in more clear.    


"Flamingo" as I am calling it, is a five inch square black canvas I finished in about 15 minutes.  These two paintings got me motivated to start selling on the internet!  

Here are some more pictures of today's endeavors.


This was my source of inspiration!  I soon learned that a photo from an ipad shows much more light than can be produced on the BLACK canvas that this was.  LIGHT is emitted from the ipad which is what they call positive light.  Pigment is negative light.  (That's the explanation.)


I made do with the small palette set up I had.  I figured how much paint space do I need for a small painting anyway!?!

Here's a close up of the palette I used to paint the Ecuador house and the Flamingo paintings.  With acrylics, I always wet the paper towels, and spritz them with water so they don't dry out.  Luckily, I didn't even need to spritz them today.  Lots of left over paint, but that's okay.  

My teacher, Diane Mannion was starting her 29th painting of flowers (in a row, one a day for a month), yeah, she won't be painting flowers for awhile now!  I found it amazing how FAST she found the lights and did a good composition.  She is pictured helping a student.

Today's lesson was landscapes, so Diane brought in some landscapes she's done.  She does so much plein-air painting, I'm sure she had a ton to chose from!  Never disappoints.  

Next week is portraits.  Can't wait!  









1 comment:

  1. Kathleen... those were not my landscapes... they were the students!

    ReplyDelete