Friday, April 26, 2013

Been working, but not posting...


I've been working on a few paintings all at one time.  While one is drying, I'm working on another.  One is in the car drying.  It's the hottest place I can think of that will dry an oil painting quick.  So I started this one, and I've struggled and struggled and struggled with it.  I'm not happy with it.  So I decided to post it and then look at it and decide what needed to be changed.  

First though, I want to tell you that I have changed this painting over and over and over again.  Believe it or not, I had a large kite up in the air, colorful, large, and UGLY.  Took that out.  If my former students saw me take that cloud out, they would have been panicky gasping with "NO...don't do it."  The line for the kite went across the sky, through the wave, down toward the sand, and off to the side of the painting.  

I just couldn't see what it needed, what was missing, but now that I've posted it, I see what I need to do composition wise.  The ocean part isn't matching...how stupid of me to not see it!  (Are all my former students getting that???  I MAKE A TON OF MISTAKES...and this is one of them!)  I thought the little girl was a nice edition, she's cuter than cute with her pigtails and small orange bucket, but the rock looks huge in the middle, however, once I'm done, now that I see where the ocean is so off, I will make it believable.  I may even put in another rock on the left to balance it.  I was going for a more overall pastel look, but those deep rich colors I love keep coming through.  I either have to make that sky with richer colors or make that rock more gray.  I think I'll make the rock more gray. (It's smaller and less work.)

I am pleased as punch though with my clouds.  Always look for the silver lining, and in this case it's in the clouds.  

Oh, by the way, where that little girl is, was a huge rock...looked like a square rock...I'm telling you, I truly struggled with this one.  But I'm not done yet. I will post when I'm done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment