Saturday, June 8, 2013

Time for a siesta!


A few weeks ago I started this painting.  I wanted it to be different by making it to be hung on an angle.  It is a 6" X 6" gallery wrapped canvas, done in Acrylic.

First I blocked in color and placed my palm trees.


I decided I didn't like the sky so I added some clouds.  I ended up taking the clouds out because I thought it would make the small painting look "too busy".  

At this point, my biggest challenge was to make the water level.  So when it hangs, the viewer doesn't get "seasick" looking at it.  Hmmm...but how do you do it?  From both corners, I measured from the tip of the corner to the area where the horizon line was.  As you can tell in this photo, it is higher on the left side, so I had to raise the horizon on the right.  It was nearly a quarter of an inch!  


VOILA!  It worked!  So how did I do the hammock?  I started with a medium hardness General's charcoal pencil.  I'm not changing a thing on this painting, I really like it.  The palms run on the sides of the painting too, it doesn't need to be framed.  







No comments:

Post a Comment