Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Barley is taking form!

Starting to work on Barley.  First draw him!


I sent this photo to the customer to show her it is just the beginning and in the background is my former dog done the same size, same way...fun to see it at the beginning, and how it will develop.  


I wanted the dog to pop right away, it helps give placement to the animal, so I painted the background in acrylic which dries quickly.  I also wanted to give placement to the eyes so I gave them some quick color as well.


Now I'm starting to work in oils defining the eye and nose more.  There's so many colors on that nose, it will take a while to make it look perfect.  (I'm patient.)


I worked on the eyes a bit more, the nose a little more, started on the dog's nails, and laid in a wash of yellow ochre on the dog.  It's kind of hard to tell but I worked on this in art class.  Many people ask me why do you still take art classes?  Because I continually learn!  Besides that, it allows me three hours of being with people who like doing the same thing, the phone doesn't ring, housework doesn't call my name, it's uninterrupted time without hearing "Can you make me something to eat?", and other distractions.    


I worked on the dog's bone a little as well.  I outlined the dog a bit to show the ears and where the dog's body turns.  LONG WAY TO GO!  This needs to dry now.  During this drying time though, I study it, and look at where I can improve, what has to be done next, and other factors, like I'd like to place "Barley" in a setting perhaps in the grass with a sky background...so I'll ask the owner what she thinks.  It would make him look like he's lying on something other than floating on the canvas.  You never know what you will come up against when you start or how the painting will change.  I think having Barley lying in grass is a good idea.  

Here is a closeup of the eyes.  I think they're taking shape!   







1 comment:

  1. You are so good about sharing step-by-step progress photos! A great pet portrait coming up!

    ReplyDelete