Thursday, April 3, 2014

K9 Officer Bruno and more news...then back to Bruno!

Meet K9 Officer Bruno!



Bruno is a K9 Officer with the Anaheim Police Department, who was shot in the line of duty.  He was doing better, then had a setback, needing an additional surgery, but, now he's back and progressing to wellness.  I am working on his portrait for his handler Officer RJ Young.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I was working on Izzy-Bella last you read this blog, and she is done, actually arrived at her home, the owner getting her framed tomorrow!  Here is Izzy-Bella's final result.


Izzy-Bella's owner requested she be put in the brown blanket she used to like to snuggle up in.  Rest in peace Izzy-Bella, rest in peace.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not to forget Kona also!  Kona's owners have asked me to delay working on the portrait until the third week of April, which worked out perfect, because now I have time to work on Bruno.  

Here is Kona...in a picture form for now...



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But now, back to K9 Officer Bruno...and his step-by-step


This is Bruno drawn in, all ready to be created.




I sent Bruno's handler a photo to get an inside glimpse of what my work station looks like, and to allow him to see how I consume myself with many pictures, not just the one I'm working from.  What I can't see in one photo, I may pick up in another.  


First go in the eyes.  This is just simple basic blocking in of color...I may make them with more highlights, but for now, I'll live with what I have down.  Many students over the years wondered why don't I finish the eyes once I start and the answer is, until you have more of the portrait down, with surrounding color, you won't know if what you have down is correct, so always think of it as a progression, not a completion.  It's kind of like setting a table for a table for 8.  You put down the plates, silverware, etc, but you always go back to adjust the position of the plate or the napkin, or the glassware.  Same things with portraits...a little at a time.


Put in the nose, I feel it's too small, but like anything else, I will work on it, and do it a little at a time.  Of all the people who view my artwork, trust me, I'm my own worst critic.  Even after I sign work, I could find ten more things to change, but you have to know when to stop, and move onto the next one, or, I'd still be on one from years ago!


I started the mouth.  I'm a nervous wreck to do the jaw area and the tongue, which is normally one of my favorite areas of the portrait to do.  Why is this bothering me so much?  That's where Bruno was shot.  The back of his tongue was obliterated, and the bullet landed within an inch of his heart.  This portrait is so important!  I MUST do it to perfection!  

That was as far as I got, and tomorrow after I pick up my flamingo oil painting from a show, I will work on it a little more.  I sent RJ several emails to pump him up knowing someone is working on his special dog, not just a vet!  

Here's Bruno with his handler.


Would you dare mess with either one of these two?  Not me!  

Initially I wanted to paint the two of them together to show the bond between officer and canine, but, he said, "It's all about Bruno"...and I am honoring his request.  This man has gone through so much in the last few days, if my artwork can bring him a little joy, a warmness in his heart, then I know I have succeeded.  And Bruno...well, Bruno, I am praying for all the time...you are one special officer.  

I salute you Bruno!  












3 comments:

  1. Good work, Kathleen! Wonderful subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the photo a younger Bruno? His face looks darker in other pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it seems with every photo taken of this dog, the lighting changes! RJ (his handler) specifically wanted the lightest photo taken and I aim to please the recipient! I too thought his face looked a lot darker in other pictures. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete