Friday, March 22, 2013

Painting from one of my photographs!

I am obsessed with ocean waves.  I love the way they curl, splash and flow.  I could watch them for hours.  (Actually, I have.)  I love taking photos of them, however, in my travels, one must remember I have a travel partner that isn't patient with taking photos.  (I'd take all day if I had the opportunity.)  It's like, "Take the picture, already!"  So I snap away and hope for some good shots...and I got some.  The particular wave I chose was taken on Kaua'i.  (I love that place.)  

I'm doing the painting in oils, so this picture is only the beginning of this artwork, and since it's in oils, I have to wait for it to dry before I add the whites of the waves.  The canvas is 8" X 8" gallery wrap and I am painting on the sides of the canvas as well.  On top is the actual painting enlarged to an 8" X 10".  The colors I used are ultramarine blue (mostly in the sky, but in some of the water as well), phthalocyanine blue, indianthrone blue, cerulean blue (which was nearly dried out), some verte green, and of course, titanium white.  I use permalba white.  Now, remember, the foamy parts of the wave are not done yet.  I also "fudged" quite a bit on the wave and free-formed it in, it's not exact.  I still captured the water movement and it's density.  Tomorrow I am attending "Artists in Action" at the Visual Arts Center in Punta Gorda, a group that paints for a few hours with no instruction, we all kind of help each other.  I won't be working on this painting there though because it will still be too wet, besides, I need to go purchase some odorless turpentine tomorrow, as I'm nearly out.  And I have some colors I need to pick up too at Michael's Arts & Crafts.  Will definitely use that 40% discount coupon!

I know someone will tell me to put some birds in the sky, but I am refusing to do so.  I really like the way this is looking so far and some birds will take the viewer's eye away from the wave.  Enjoy the painting's progression!  Will post when it is in it's next stage as soon as it dries.




I wanted you all to see how I'm even painting on the side of the canvas.  I plan on eventually putting this painting online to sell once I get a portfolio of paintings together to sell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment