Monday, September 30, 2013

30 day challenge, I teetered out on day 25.

Well, the thirty day challenge is over and all I can say is wow, the pressure is off.  I just do not like painting fast.  I prefer quality over quantity.  But...the challenge did teach me I need to paint more so not all was lost.  I went out with a bang of a painting too!

Onto the next challenge which is to try to get into a national art show.  I've tried before with my English Bulldog painting, but this time I am trying with a flamingo.  I took many pictures at "Sunken Gardens" in Florida at what was called a "Scavenger Hunt" where we took photos of things they told us to find, most of them hidden somewhere in the gardens area.  I recall I took photos of flamingos early in the day but wasn't thrilled with the ones I took, then I went back in the afternoon and found this one sticking its head in its plume, and I knew I had to capture that shot.  I wanted to get the shot from behind the bird, including the flat feet they possess, and how the graceful neck wouldn't show at all, like a typical flamingo pose.  Something unique.  And I got it.

Now I'm going to paint it!  Below is the photo I will be working from.  It was taken with my NIKON D200 camera in RAW mode, with VR Zoom-Kikkor 70-300mm lens, f/stop of 4-5.6, and an ISO of 400.  The original photo was taken on March 27th, 2011.

I also participated in the "Scavenger Hunt" contest, and made a video of the photos I took, and it is on youtube.  I ended up coming in second place (of over 500 entries!), and I won an addition program to add onto my photoshop program, which now I don't have on my mac computer, haha!  But it was fun to do the workshop, because I met and worked with famed photographer Rick Sammon and I purchased his HD how to book, which he signed for me too!  What a fun experience, and my friends Bonnie Thelin and Pink Whitt were right there with me.  Funny how life works, at the time, Bonnie was married and is now divorced.  Pink was single and now is remarried.  I have the same status.

Regardless, here is the photo I will be working from as an entry into the national show at the Visual Arts Center in Punta Gorda, Florida.


And here is the youtube video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3YtjiQ-EA



No comments:

Post a Comment