Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 7 of painting every day!


Day 7 of my 30 day painting challenge proves I can paint every day, however, when working with speed, less quality appears and I personally don't like that.  I was so rushed to push out a painting today, I decided to do something extremely quick so I thought of doing a small watercolor.  

I hate working in watercolor!  

I hated it in school, and still do.  Anyone want to buy some quality watercolor supplies?  I have Arches Blocks and Arches large sheets (I believe they're 140 lb. weight).  I'm serious...I'm through with it.  One thing I learned in school was to ALWAYS purchase quality art supplies to give yourself the advantage if nothing else.  During my school years I saw kids who couldn't afford the best supplies and it showed in the work they did, and they struggled too with the poor quality of paints and brushes, no matter the medium.  

While teaching for years (which you'd never know looking at this painting), I saw students struggle with buying the cheapest available.  Most times not because they had to but because they didn't believe me.  (I used to own an art supply store.)  There were a lot of retired women taking up art for the first time, just like their husbands were enjoying golf for the first time, but the husbands bought the quality clubs, bag, shoes, clothes, etc...paid high greens fees, you name it...a golf cart...the whole kit and caboodle...yet, when their wives wanted a new brush, it was like pulling teeth.  

There were days I'd let the women use my supplies and the women went and bought new brushes once they tried the good things, and the husbands had a fit.  

How did the women combat this?  Well, they would buy it cash and put it in their bags, or they'd charge it and the husband wouldn't find out anyway because SHE would be the one to do the bills...or she'd write a check, sometimes all three because as I learned from these smart ladies, cash leaves no trail, credit cards show up a month later, and checks show up at the end of the month...and they taught me, the men never put it together.  Never, ever try to outsmart a woman!  

In this particular case of me painting this painting, I learned once again, I do not like watercolors, no matter how good the supplies!  I learned not to waste my time doing something I don't enjoy.  

I've painted a painting every day this week and I'm due for a lesser quality one.  I'm proving to myself I need to paint SLOW.  This once a day painting exercise/challenge is teaching me that I need to get in the studio once a day...and spend TIME there.  

Now I have to go take clothes out of the dryer.  See where my priorities lie?



No comments:

Post a Comment