Monday, September 9, 2013

Down Under (Painting 9 of 30)

When I was in Australia, my husband and I went to the Great Barrier Reef where he snorkeled.   I was having problems breathing right, so I didn't do it.  However on the large platform boat they have an observation deck where those who choose not to snorkel or scuba dive, can view the ones who are, along with the fish or as in the case the day we were there, jellyfish!  (Actually it was pitiful the amount of fish for it being the Great Barrier Reef!  Perhaps because this place is used over and over again?  Who knows?  

This is a pastel painting, 9" X 12".  $25. 


This is the original painting I worked from.  One must remember that a photograph captures more light than you can depict in a pastel painting.  I do plan on doing this either in oils or acrylics...as I really like this one, it's so unique.  Oh, by the way, when I went to print out the photograph to work from, it immediately chopped off the other diver and other full flipper on the right, so I did what I saw.  The clarity of digital photography will also compete with the nature of working with pastels, a rather dull painting medium on the whole.  




No comments:

Post a Comment