Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Molokini, Hawaii

Molokini Buoy

While on Maui, my husband and I went snorkeling off the coast at a tourist attraction which is a crescent shaped island named Molokini.  Molokini is half way between Maui and Molokai.

Here is what the island actually looks like.


Well, luck be have it, my nose was playing tricks on me that day, and I knew I wouldn't be comfortable snorkeling, but, I'd be just as happy taking photographs, and wow, did I ever take photos!  Little did I know taking a simple picture of a white round buoy would look so pretty.  Here is the actual photograph.


So today's painting takes us off the coast of Maui to a crescent shaped island called Molokini.  

Here is the painting.  


This is one of those paintings I think I'd enjoy painting larger, and part of this challenge was to test whether I'd like to paint something larger.  This is one of them.  This would look fabulous as a beach/boat tote!

Here's a small presentation of how I painted it.


Normally one would start with the background, but with the blues that make up the water, it would be difficult to paint the ball last, so I went against the rules for this one.


I began to add in the water, and I liked how it looked...so I continued but wondered how could I make  the water look remaining sideways and not the roundness of the ball.


So I carefully dipped into my "LIQUIN" medium and worked my way around the ball with a very small angular shader.  


I like the way it turned out, and yes, I'd like to paint this one larger.  

Here's what it looks like from all angles.


I really like this one.  

Only thing is, those blues tend to take a long time to dry.  

Colors used:

Permalba White
Cerulean Blue
Payne's Gray
Thalo Blue
Cadmium Red Medium
Alizarin Crimson
Permanent Green Light
Raw Umber
Raw Sienna

Brushes used:

#00 Round
#4 Angular shader (1/8")
#6 Angular shader (1/4")

  








No comments:

Post a Comment