Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 21 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Three quarters the way done with this challenge!  Pat on the back time!  I had three subjects I wanted to paint, but, had to figure out which one to do first, and I was having a serene type of day, so I chose a serene, calm photo from which to work.  But my other two were the Tower Bridge in London, and the Moulin Rouge in Paris...but they need backgrounds, which need to dry, so I made the decision to paint one of my favorite subjects and one of my favorite places in the whole wide world...you guessed it, Hawaii.  This time the island of Kaua'i.  At the famous Tunnels Beach.

TUNNELS BEACH, KAUA'I


While my husband snorkeled, I took photos.  It was in the afternoon but the sky was bright over the distant mountain.  Tunnels Beach is located at the north end of the island, in the area of Haena.  It is supposedly the ultimate for snorkeling and scuba diving.  The crescent shaped bay is fringed by palms and Ironwood trees.  The golden sand beach has lush jungle and mountains making this a picture perfect beach.  

Lava tubes form the many underwater caverns and that is where Tunnels gathered its name.  If you ever go to Kaua'i, don't miss it.  Parking is difficult, but not so bad from Haena Beach Park and walk a bit.  

The mountain in the background is called Mount Makana (Bali Hai).

This is one painting I'd like to do larger for sure.  Of course, the dream would be to paint it on location.  I tried once from the Princeville Resort a few miles away, but I was using someone else's supplies, and I didn't like the type canvas she used, it was more like a slippery board, so I didn't get a good effect.  Since they were done in oils, they also didn't dry in time to take home in my suitcase, so a wait staff at the hotel who kept watching me paint and commenting on how much he loved it, I surprised him when I left and gave him the painting.  He was  happy.  That's all that matters.  I couldn't do anything else with it!  He said it was the best tip he ever got.  I said, "No tip...gift!  You don't have to claim it on your taxes!"  He laughed and then thanked me.  

Yes, this is definitely one I'd paint again.  

To return back to my website, click below:






No comments:

Post a Comment