Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Makaleha Beach, Oahu

OAHU'S MAKALEHA BEACH


Today's adventure lands us on the North Shore beach of Makaleha.  When I took the photo of this beach, I was amazed at how much green was in the water, actually a yellowish green, and I knew that when I would some day paint it, I could use one of my favorite oil colors...Thalo Yellow Green.  If you haven't tried that color yet, I highly suggest you go out and get a tube.  Yes it's a "convenience" color (for you purist at heart), and yes, it does look a little flat, but if you need to pain celery, lettuce, parts of an ocean wave, or even the light as it hits a green tree, let me tell  you, Thalo Yellow Green could become a staple in your palette of lovely colors.  I use it more than I care to acknowledge!

The painting is 6" X 6" gallery wrapped painted on all four sides, no need for a frame..

Here's today's painting:


And here's what it looks like from all three sides!


Here is my inspiration photo.


Colors used:
Permalba White
Raw Sienna
Payne's Gray
UltraMarine Blue
Cerulean Blue
Winsor & Newton Phalo Turquoise
Permanent Green Light
Thalo Yellow Green
Burnt Sienna

Brushes used:
3/4 Angular Shader
#8 Flat
10/0 Fan

The fan brush was used to place in the fluffy clouds and to do the waves.  The #10 flat was used to pull the excess off that fan brush to make the clouds blend.  To make the prettiest clouds, don’t have many defined edges. 





No comments:

Post a Comment