Friday, September 5, 2014

Day 5 of "30 Paintings in 30 Days"

Helicopter ride over Great Barrier Reef

Today's painting takes up high in the sky in a helicopter over the Great Barrier Reef off the East Coast of Australia.  I couldn't believe all the blues!  

I think this would make a pretty painting much larger.  Creating it as a 6" square painting took away from it's massiveness.  Live and learn!  

Colors used:
Permalba White
Titanium White 
Winsor and Newton Chrome Green
Ivory Black
Cerulean Blue
French Ultramarine Blue
Thalo Blue
Cobalt Blue
Winsor and Newton Thalo Blue Turquoise
Payne's Gray

(To make the silvery color, I mixed the green, ivory black and then added white.)

I use two types of white because they each have different properties.   The permalba paint is more soft and flows lovely.  The regular formula of Titanium white is thicker and when you want to add the waves, that's what you'd use!

Brushes used:
#10 Flat
#2 Round (Barely)
Liner (to sign it on the side)

The painting is painted on the sides as well, it looks like the ocean goes all around the whole painting surface!  

When I was painting it, I used a #804 palette knife to make the waves and I really enjoyed using it.  When I looked at the painting when it was all done, I wish I had completed the painting all with the palette knife.  Like written above, live and learn.  

Here is the original photo I worked from.


As you can tell, I didn't make the ocean as grayish green as it appears in the photo, and painting it square took away from the expansiveness of the ocean.  What I did do is rely on my mind's eye of what colors I actually did see.  It's a beautiful area of the world.  

Perhaps tomorrow we'll go to Europe.  Wait and see!

Click below to go back to my website.


2 comments:

  1. By the time your painting is photographed we can't tell how big it is. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyfulartist, so you know, it's written above how large it is! So you know for future posts, during this 30 day challenge, ALL my artwork for the challenge is done in oils, and all are 6" X 6" gallery wrapped canvas. See, above this sentence telling what size it is: "Creating it as a 6" square painting took away from it's massiveness. "

    ReplyDelete