Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day 3 of "30 Paintings in 30 Days"

Beautiful Bora Bora!


Day three takes us to the South Pacific, French Polynesian island country of Bora Bora.  Sadly, this isn't a shot of Mount Otemanu (it's a little right of where the painting ends), but who says I have to paint a famous landmark?  I painted my feeling of the island.  

Bora Bora is in the Leeward group of the Society Islands of French Polynesia with a population of about 8,000 people.  The island is known for Mount Otemanu, which is a remnant of an extinct volcano, but also the other peak called Mount Pahia, only rising to about 2300 feet.  

We stayed at "La Meridian", and yes, it had huts over the water!  (They all do.)  But our "pad" wasn't over the water, we had a beach front place with a private spa and hammock...really lovely.  Three things I didn't like about Bora Bora.  The locals know you're tourist and try to take you whenever they can.  Also, when you're staying at one resort, they make all kinds of reasons for you to not go to another resort.  (They want to trap you.)  And it's so hot...and now mind you, I've lived in Florida's sweltering heat since 1985, I actually like heat...but this was unbearable.  

Another thing is I'm glad I know enough French to get by...I used it more here than I did in France!  

One thing I loved about the island is how small it is, and also, the selection of black pearls.  All the island women wear them.  And yes, I was fortunate enough that my husband purchased for me a black pearl ring and also a black pearl single drop necklace.  

Colors used are:

Permalba White
Titanium White
Alizarin Crimson
Thalo Green
Payne's Gray
Sap Green
Cadmium Yellow Light
Cerulean Blue

Brushes used:

Liner
#2 Round
10/0 Fan (really, really tiny)
#10 Flat

Here is the original photo I took to use as inspiration, not duplication!



No comments:

Post a Comment